El Shaddai "The All Breasted One"

There is an interesting, and some would say sacrilegious, song by John Crowder and Benjamin Dunn called “El Shaddai” that pushes the limits of magnifying and describing God for His All-Sustaining Power to the very edge. It was sent to me by a good friend with his own disclaimer. Note: the title “El Shaddai” does have the connotation of a mother nursing a child. Do your own word search if you don’t believe me; it’s true. My point is not to condone nor critique the song but discuss the reflections it birthed.

Here are a few lyric sound bites from the song “El Shaddai”:

“Attach yourself to the living tissue of the Many Breasted One”
“The Milky Glory”
“Heaven’s pap”
“Lay my head on the breast of Jesus”
“Churn it up”
“The butter from the utter of God”


I've been thinking why the El Shaddai song does not offend me and it dawned on me; there is no way to describe God other than through metaphor and simile. God is love; God is light; God is good; God is Truth; God is the Way; God is the "All Breasted One" etc...As The Only Infinite Supreme Being he is beyond our finite minds to comprehend; therefore, we are left with comparisons that cast a dim light upon the Majesty of His Splendor. I wonder just how much our minds will be transformed when we lay aside mortality for immortality and "see" Him in Heaven. He will still be Infinite and, as such, beyond comprehension, even to a glorified mind I suspect. That must be one of the reasons Heaven will continue to be amazing and glorious and completely fulfilling for eternity and eternity for I believe God will continually "uncover" and reveal Himself over and over and again and again for His creation to fall in wonder and awe again and again and cry out, "Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty!" And it will never end! There never will come a time when God says, "Sorry, guys, that's all I got. You'll have to come back next time for reruns." I once heard John Bevere say the two major qualities God will reveal without end is His Holiness and His Love. Whenever God reveals Himself He changes the person too. Can you imagine an eternity of revelations and what impact that will have on us? Can you imagine the depth of holiness and love we will possess, or better reflect, or better yet emanate, after such encounters? I believe the economy of Heaven is always give what you got, or flow in flow out. In other words, what God gives and/or does for us is also to be shared for others. I just wonder what plans and projects God has in mind for us after a few millennia of supercharging us with His love and holiness.

Comments

Popular Posts