Are You Believing a Lie?


He was a murderer from the beginning and has always hated the truth. There is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies. 
John 8:44 The Living Version

When Abigail was 11 years old and eagerly expecting her birthday I told her I wasn’t going to let her turn 12 on her birthday. 
The conversation went like this:
 “Abigail, your dad has decided he wants to keep you eleven years old so you can’t turn 12 on your birthday.”
 “No!  I want to turn 12.”  She exclaimed.
 “I understand.  But I like my little girl and if you turn 12 that makes you closer to a teenager and young
woman and I’m not ready for that yet.”  Not even close!  I thought to myself.
 Abigail wrinkled her nose and with crossed eyebrows replied, “I want my birthday!”
 “Oh, we’ll have a birthday and you can open presents but we’re only putting 11 candles on the cake.  You’re going to be 11 again!” 
 “No!  I want to be 12!”  Abigail shouted with emotion as she put her hands over her eyes. 
“Too bad,  Daddy has decided.”  I said, matter-of-factly.
 “I’ll be mean to you!” She threatened. 
 Wow!  I thought.  She really wants to turn 12 bad!
 “Please, let me turn 12!  I want to turn 12!”  Abigail pleaded again and then suddenly broke down and I saw
a tear appear from under her hand and slide down her cheek.
 “OK, ok!  Abigail, you win.  I’ll let you turn 12!
 Immediately the smile returned to her face and the sparkle in her eye.  I felt bad that I had made her cry. 

You and I both know I had no power to keep her from turning 12 years old. It is a law of nature:  a matter of fact.  As long as there is breath in Abigail’s lungs she will mature and grow older, nothing and no one can stop the passing of time.  But in her limited understanding I had the authority to take something from her that she wanted very badly, and to do so was going to make her sad, angry, hurt, and helpless.    

Satan constantly tries to do the same thing to us.  He lies to us, tricking us into believing he can take away our peace of mind, joy, salvation, and he has absolutely NO POWER to do so!  He has as much power to take those things from the believer as I have power to take Abigail’s 12th birthday from her.  Yet many times we listen and believe the lies he tells and accept the “reality” he weaves and then wonder why we are confused, depressed, fed up, stressed out, and defeated. 

How do you counteract the devil’s lies? 
 1.  Know your position. 
You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

According to the Word of God Christ Jesus dwells in you and His authority is your authority.  Satan is a defeated foe.  Christ conquered death, hell, and the grave and took away the power of sin over our lives.  Know who you are in Christ and by faith walk in that knowledge.

2.  Assume your position. 
Submit yourself therefore to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.  James 4:7

The key to resisting the devil's attacks and lies is submitting every area of your life to God.  And I mean every area:  your finances, your marriage, your emotions, your hopes, your dreams, your job, your children.  Any area of your life not submitted to God is vulnerable and open to attack by the enemy.  Don’t give him the opportunity.

3.  Proclaim your position. 
And they overcame him (the devil) by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death. Revelation 12:11  

What is your position?  Just to name a few…You have been justified with Christ (Rom 5:1); You have been established, anointed, and sealed (2 Cor 1:21-22); You belong to God (1 Cor 6:20(; You are a new creation (2Cor 5:17); You are a child of God (Gal 3:26).  And while we’re at it, let’s remind the devil of his position!  He is defeated (Heb 2:14);  A lake of fire awaits him (Matt 24:41); His works are destroyed (1 John 3:8); just to get started!

Don’t try to argue and fight him on his terms. You will lose.  The Psalmist said, Your Word is a lamp unto my feet, a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105). 
The Word of God exposes the darkness, where lies reside, and sheds the light of Truth.  You call the shots.  You are in control through the power of the Holy Spirit.  You were born to win. You are more than a conqueror through Christ. Through the cross and His subsequent resurrection from death, Jesus has made the way for you to be victorious over every work of the devil. Now stop believing the devil’s lies and walk in Truth; and that Truth, Jesus, will set you free. 

 For further study see also (Luke 10:19; Mark 3:14,15; Ephesians 6:12-18; Acts 1:8).

Comments

Popular Posts