PART 1 How to Cultivate a Deeper Relationship with God.

Ask for a Hunger to Know God

I know a steady diet of Krispy Kremes for breakfast and Papa John’s for dinner will cause me to grow out of my pants not to mention leave me feeling lethargic and tired. But that doesn’t always keep me from indulging myself in those unhealthy foods more often than I care to admit. They are tasty, convenient and cheap to come by. My first defense for resisting and overcoming the temptation to those unhealthy foods is to ask God to remove my appetite for them and replace it with a desire for healthy foods. It is no different in spiritual matters. It’s not enough to know you need to eat healthy; you got to want it. And want it badly. And if you don’t want it, ask for it! It’s not enough to know you need God, and more of Him. You’re desire for God must overwhelm every other desire in your life. If you want more of God you need to ask Him to increase your appetite and hunger for Him. That’s a prayer He just LOVES to answer.
Reading, meditating, and praying the Psalms back to God is one of the surest ways to increase your hunger for God. Ask God to give you the passion for Him that is often poured out into the Psalms. May your heart cry be that of King David, My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. (Psalm 84:2)

Read the following Psalms slowly and deliberately. As you read them personalize them and pray them back to God.
Your hunger for God will begin to increase and be satisfied, the Bible declares it, Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. (Matthew 5:6)


For a day in thy courts [is] better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
(Psalm 84:10)

My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous!-- insatiable for your nourishing commands.
(Psalm 119:20)

Mouth open and panting, I wanted your commands more than anything.
(Psalm 119:131)

Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right.
(Psalm 119:164)

Stretched out my hands to you, as thirsty for you as a desert thirsty for rain.
(Psalm 143:6)

Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
(Psalm 146:1-2)

Comments

Popular Posts