Launch Out into the Deep Part 2


 This is part two of "Launch Out into the Deep." I want to share with you four ways to cultivate a deeper relationship with God.  I'll cover one and two in this blog and save three and four for Part 3.

  1. Ask for a hunger to know God 

I know a steady diet of Krispy Kremes for breakfast and Papa John’s for dinner will cause me to grow out of my pants and feel lethargic and tired.  But that doesn’t always keep me from indulging myself in those unhealthy foods.  They are tasty and very convenient.  My defense for overcoming those unhealthy foods is to ask God to remove my appetite for them and replace it with a desire for healthy foods.  It is no different in spiritual matters.  It’s not enough to know you need to eat healthy; you gotta want it. And want it badly.  It’s not enough to know you need God, and more of Him.  Your desire for God must overwhelm every other desire in your life.  Read the heart’s desires penned in the following psalms. 

My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.

 (Psalm 84:2)


For a day in thy courts [is] better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

 (Psalm 84:10)


My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous!-- insatiable for your nourishing commands. 

(Psalm 119:20)


Mouth open and panting, I wanted your commands more than anything.

(Psalm 119:131)


Seven times each day I stop and shout praises for the way you keep everything running right.

 (Psalm 119:164)


Stretched out my hands to you, as thirsty for you as a desert thirsty for rain.

(Psalm 143:6)


Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul. While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.       

(Psalm 146:1-2)

Increasing Desire through the Psalms

Reading, meditating, and praying the Psalms back to God is one of the surest ways to increase your hunger for God.  Ask God to give you the passion for Him that is poured out into the Psalms.  May your heart cry be the same of Moses who asked of God, “And he said, I beseech You, let me see Your glory.” (Exodus 33:18)

Your hunger for God will increase and be satisfied, the Bible declares it, Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. (Matthew 5:6)

  1. Seek out and spend time with people who are hungry for God

Be not deceived: Evil companionships corrupt good morals. (1Corinthians 15:33)


The Principle of Influential Proximation

It’s a fact.  Your mother knew what she was doing when she wanted to see who your friends were before she let you go out with them.  Bad company corrupts good character.  But we don’t have to be as extreme to see what I like to call the Principle of Influential Proximation at work.  The Principle of Influential Proximation states the longer and closer in relationship you are to a person or group the more like them you will become.  To apply this principle to your advantage you must seek out and surround yourself with men and women of God who when pricked ooze holiness, righteousness, and zeal for God. 

The Example of Jesus as a Boy

At 12 years old Jesus was aware of this principle when his family went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover.  After three days of searching for their son they found him “in the Temple Courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.  Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers.”  Luke 2:46-47

Evidently, Jesus at a young age didn’t have the opportunity to surround himself with learned godly men and he wasn’t leaving until he got his fill!  Who have you sought out to listen to and ask questions as Jesus did?  Who have you surrounded yourself with whose walk is worthy of the call?  

The Example of the Apostle Paul

The Apostle Paul also understood this principle and encouraged the recipients of his letter to, Be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ. 1 Corinthians 11:1  So I exhort you to seek out a spiritual guide.  Don’t let that phrase scare you just because the New Age movement has adopted it.  Let’s just be specific here.  You need more than a one dose exposure from someone behind the pulpit once a week.  If the only time you see your pastor is at the church building then that doesn’t qualify.  Ask God to bring into your life a person to whom you can walk alongside and watch how they live.  Someone who also sees how you live and you give permission for them to speak into your life through encouragement, exhortation, and even rebuke when needed.  


Comments

Popular Posts