Launch Out Into the Deep Part 1


 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.” Luke 5:4

When my heart whispered, "Seek God," my whole being replied, "I'm seeking him!"  Psalm 27:8


Launch Out Into the Deep

One hot Texas summer day I went snorkeling with my friend, Scott, on a large lake near town.  I've never snorkeled before but it was a warm beautiful day and the water was cool, refreshing, and inviting.  I strapped on fins, goggles, and a snorkel and launched out into the shallow waters along the water's edge.  After some spitting and snorting and swallowing some of the lake's finest blueish-green water I finally got the hang of it.  Once submerged the world melted away and it was just me, the waves, a tree stump here and there, and tiny fish darting in and out of small coves of rocks.  I loved exploring and wondering what was just ahead of me around the bend of the lakeshore.

 

After a while, Scott and I took a break on his boat and he asked me if I was ready to free dive.  I learned freediving is when you hold your breath and go down as deep as you can.  I was nervous but wasn't going to let that stop me from trying.

 

He showed me how to breathe to fill my lungs to capacity and after a couple of practices we took our first plunge.  I held my nose with one hand, pointed my head down and my feet up, and started kicking my way down and swimming with my one free arm.  My first dive was only fifteen feet.  My biggest fear was running out of air before I got back to the surface!  Duh, you say, but I really couldn't tell how far down I was to know how far up I had to go to catch a breath of air!  On the third try at around 27 feet down (Scott had a wristwatch that measured water depth) I swam up, (or is that swam down?), on the biggest fish I'd ever seen underwater in a lake.  I shot back up to the surface shouting and excited about what I had discovered on the bottom of the lake.

 

Snorkeling along the shore revealed tiny little fish, but it was in the deep of the lake where the big fish were to be found.


The personality and character of God can be compared to the lake we were in.  Most people are content snorkeling and exploring along the surface of God.  There is much to be discovered and it is beautiful with surprises waiting around every bend and beneath each rock but the outer edge is only a slice, a cliff note, a scratching the surface of what the lake is all about.  It is the same with God.  Many are content with their salvation experience and maintain themselves with a weekly dose of sermon here, a daily five-minute devotional there, and they’re done, satisfied.  They have only begun to know their Heavenly Father!  There is so much more of God waiting to be revealed!  


God is inviting you to leave the water's edge and launch out into the deep. He is waiting to lead you to secrets and wonders of His character that you will not find on the surface of Sunday sermons and five-minute daily devotions alone.  God wants from you a deep, personal and intimate relationship with you.  He wants to share secrets and heavenly mysteries with you that are only revealed to those who get out where their feet don't touch!  He is calling you to leave the snorkel behind, take a deep breath, and plunge into His Word letting Him guide you by revelation into the depths of His perfect character, everlasting love, and beautiful holiness.  Now get that Bible out and jump in!


Comments

Unknown said…
Thats what I know I must do. Take the plunge. I am discovering more just need a good partner to help me and to keep me accountable. I still want to hear God's voice. I need to be more connected. Thank you Pastor Matt.
Unknown said…
Thanks, Pastor. Great encouragement for our new study.

Popular Posts